THE BENEFITS OF WHOLE GRAIN
Collaboration with St-Méthode Bakery
In this Nutrition Month, let's talk about the health benefits of eating whole grains. The latter are called whole because they are made up of the three parts of the grain: the bran, the endosperm and the germ. For their part, refined grains consist almost entirely of the endosperm. The bran is the outer shell that provides fibre, B vitamins, minerals (iron, copper, zinc, magnesium), antioxidants and some proteins. The endosperm is the middle layer that provides carbohydrates, proteins, as well as some vitamins and minerals. Finally, the germ is the central part that contains B vitamins, vitamin E, minerals, antioxidants and good fats. Whole grains therefore provide more nutrients, fibre, vitamins and minerals than refined grains.Why are whole grains good for your health?
Whole grains provide many health benefits, including cardiovascular health. Research observes that people who eat more whole grains are less at risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, digestive disorders and certain cancers. Replacing refined grains with whole grains can improve total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol), hemoglobin A1c (a reflection of blood sugar), and C-reactive protein (a marker of inflammation). The health benefits of whole grains are partly due to their higher fiber content compared to refined grains. In fact, fiber helps maintain stable blood sugar and lower blood cholesterol levels..How to eat more whole grains?
- For breakfast, opt for oatmeal or whole grain bread such as the 100% whole grain loaf with sprouted wheat, the 9 whole grain bread or the 100% whole wheat bread from the Les Grains St-Méthode range.
- Swap Refined Wheat Pasta for Whole Grain Pasta
- Add millet, quinoa or whole bulgur to your salads
- Bake your cakes, muffins, pancakes and cookies with whole grain flours
In summary :
- Whole grains are made up of the 3 parts of the grain (endosperm, germ and bran).
- Consumption of whole grains is associated with a reduced risk of several chronic diseases.
- Whole grains are easy to integrate by opting for whole grain bread at breakfast, swapping white pasta for whole wheat pasta and adding different whole grains to our meals.
You want to know more about the range of products at Boulangerie St-Méthode? CLICK HERE